Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Speak of What You know

Doing a bible study this morning and decided to break down a few things in one verse so I figured I would share.

I have been reading in John and breaking all the verses down, Jesus was witnessing to people and I believe how he did it is exactly how he wants us to do it so its important to follow his example.

John 3:11
I tell you the truth, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony.

So lets break down in our own words here what Jesus was saying.

1. I tell you the truth - simple one here we should always be speaking the truth when witnessing or speaking to someone about God. There is no need to exaggerate anything in our experiences with God. The truth is enough.

2. we speak of what we know - So I love this one, we only need to speak of what we know to be true, this means it is okay if talking to someone and you do not have the answer to say "I do not know". I think sometimes we feel as Christians we should always have the answers well this clearly tells me that I do not always have the answer. Only speaking of what you know is fine and sometimes I feel like I do not know enough to actually go out and be a witness and that is not true.  If you are speaking to someone who doesn't know Jesus then you know more then them. New Christians like 2 minutes old can be share the good news and think about all the people Jesus healed how they ran off to tell everyone.

3. we testify to what we have seen - Easy one again, its okay to share what you have seen. Jesus showed me the outline of his face one night and boy was I amazed, excited, in awe and speechless. I tell everyone about it and most just think I am crazy but I do not care. I know what I saw and you would be shouting it from the roof tops also if you saw it. So do not be afraid to tell of what you have seen, some people have seen God do some beautiful miracles and I think its important we share them with others. Your personal testimony is important to talk about, a transformation of life is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen so share away about your transformation.

4. but still you people do not accept our testimony - after all you have shared it is still possible that they will not believe you. If they did not believe Jesus here then its safe to assume you will go through the same thing. I know many have thought I was a little crazy but that's okay. I know what I have seen, I know what I know and its not my job to make them believe me.

We are commanded to go out and preach the good news and I know I have made it more difficult than it has to be. I think Jesus makes it simple in this passage when it comes to sharing. Keep it honest, share what you know, share what you have seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment